Home Nha Trang Hotels
Tours Info Center
Payment methods
Contact us

Po Nagar Towers


The Po Nagar Towers once stood at the entrance of Cai river, where the river meets the ocean. The towers stood in isolation on a rock foundation, but over many years the towers and the land it stands on became part of the land mass as the river changed its flows.

The Po Nagar Towers once stood at the entrance of Cai river, where the river meets the ocean. The towers stood in isolation on a rock foundation, but over many years the towers and the land it stands on became part of the land mass as the river changed its flows.

Today, the tower is north of the river and the rock formation it stood on became known as Mount Cu Lao. The town of Vinh Phuoc at the base of the mountain was once a fishing village, known as Xom Chai and Xom Bong.

Po Nagar Towers complex was built between the 7th and 12th century. The most beautiful towers were built in the year 813 and 817. Most were destroyed and only four towers are still standing. Each tower is a shrine to a different deity.


One tower is the shrine to Xiva, one of three most powerful deities in Hinduism. One tower is dedicated to Ganexa, the son of Xiva. This deity has a human body and an elephant head. Po Nagar is the tallest tower, also known as Thap Ba (Tower of the Lady). Po Nagar or Uma is the wife of Xiva the supreme. Po Nagar towers stands 23m in height and was built around 817

Bricks were used in the building of Po Nagar. The four-sided structure is topped by a pyramid with a statue of the four armed Xiva riding Nandin the enchanted ox at the apex. The exterior of the tower is covered by intricate rock carvings of dancers, people rowing boats, grinding rice or hunting with bows and arrows.

The interior is airy and cool. An alter made of granite is placed at the base of the statue of Po Nagar. Po Nagar is a goddess with ten arms. She is also the goddess credited for her help with teaching people how to farm. Her statue was originally made out of hard incense wood. The statue was removed by the French in 1946. A new statue with more Vietnamese features is its replacement. The Po Nagar towers complex is an example of Cham's architecture and art at its height

Other City Tour
Long Son pagoda
The most revered pagoda in Nha Trang, Long Son was originally built on the summit of Trai Thuy hill to the south of the city, but was detroyed by a typhoon at the beginning of the 20th century.
Nha Trang Cathedral
The construction of Nha Trang Cathedral started in 1928 and finished 1934. The dark brown Christian church is decked with colourful stained glasses and houses three large bells. The building stands elegantly on an elevated land surrounded local houses. Mass is held from Monday to Saturday at 5 am and 4.30 pm, and Sunday at 5 and 7 am and 4.30 pm.
Hon Chong Promontory
Chong has two meanings in the Vietnamese language. The first is to stack and the second is husband. Hon Chong is located on a stretch of rocky mass of land, famous for the thousands of smooth rocks being stacked on one another.
Oceanographical Institute
The oceanographical Institute of Nha Trang contributes largely to the study and the safeguarding of the Vietnamese marine ecosystems. Since the end of the XIXe century, the French scientists led the first research in marine ecology to Vietnam.
Hot Spring Mud Bath
Visitors to Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, can enjoy not only the seaside city’s breezy beaches and islands. The city is also renowned for its hot springs and mud baths.
Information Center

Best of Nha Trang
Nha Trang Hotels &Resort
About Us
|
Contact Us
|
Nha Trang Map
|
Weather
|
Hotels NhaTrang
|
Site Map
|
Login
|
Hotels Directory